In 1919, Ingber was invited by millionaires Alpheus Geer and Hiram Mallison to manage Stillman’s Gym. When Ingber came along, the gym was actually named the Marshall Stillman Athletic Club. In the late 1920s, the gym changed its name. Patrons used to think Ingber’s last name was Stillman; because of this, they greeted him as Mr. Stillman. Stillman, described as moody and acid-tonged, among other things, by boxing historians and writers, disliked having to correct everyone who called him Mr. Stillman, so eventually he changed his name legally from Louis Ingber to Lou Stillman.